How do I report the sale of restricted stock?

October 17, 2011

Date:   7 Mar 2008
From:   David

    1. How do you report the sale of restricted stock units (RSUs)? Are they reported on Schedule D like other stock sales?


    1. If you receive a 1099-MISC from a company for whom you performed consulting services relating to exercising a non- qualified stock option, should the income be reported on Schedule C?


  1. If you didn’t sell the stock received from exercising the NQO (during 2007) until the next year (2008), how do you avoid being taxed again on the gain from the sale?


Date:   14 Mar 2008

Hello David,

    1. Yes. (Ordinary income should have been reported when the restricted stock grant was received or when the shares vested. This establishes the tax basis (cost) of the shares for Schedule D.)
    1. Yes.


  1. The tax basis (cost) of the shares reported on Schedule D for 2008 should be the option price plus the ordinary income relating to the exercise of the option that was taxable for 2007.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more answers to our readers’ questions and to learn about new tax developments relating to employee stock options, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA’s Option Alert!

Comments are closed.