How do I report the sale of restricted stock?
October 17, 2011
Date: 7 Mar 2008
- How do you report the sale of restricted stock units (RSUs)? Are they reported on Schedule D like other stock sales?
- If you receive a 1099-MISC from a company for whom you performed consulting services relating to exercising a non- qualified stock option, should the income be reported on Schedule C?
- If you didn’t sell the stock received from exercising the NQO (during 2007) until the next year (2008), how do you avoid being taxed again on the gain from the sale?
Date: 14 Mar 2008
- Yes. (Ordinary income should have been reported when the restricted stock grant was received or when the shares vested. This establishes the tax basis (cost) of the shares for Schedule D.)
- The tax basis (cost) of the shares reported on Schedule D for 2008 should be the option price plus the ordinary income relating to the exercise of the option that was taxable for 2007.