Do I have to report Idaho income on options acquired in California?

October 10, 2011

Date:   14 May 2008
From:   Colleen

I earned stock options while working in California and exercised them two years after moving to Idaho. I filed and paid California state taxes as a non-resident of California for 2007. Now Idaho is asking me to pay Idaho state taxes on the same income. What should I do?


Date:   4 Jun 2008

Hello Colleen,

Claim a state tax credit on your Idaho income tax return for the California tax paid on the income.

See page 8 of the Idaho income tax instructions. You compute the state tax credit at page 2 of Idaho Form 39R and carry the amount to line 22 of Idaho Form 40 (Idaho income tax return).

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more answers to our readers’ questions and to learn about new tax developments relating to employee stock options, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA’s Option Alert!

Comments are closed.