How can I sell stock in a private company?

May 24, 2002

Date:   15 April 2002
From:   Anthony

I currently hold private stock in a company that most likely will not go public. I am looking to sell those shares. What are my options?




Date:   08 May 2002

Hello Anthony,

You might need to consult with an attorney familiar with corporate law. As I understand it, you may make a private sale of the stock to another shareholder or to the company. Be sure to study your stock certificates for any transfer restrictions that may apply.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more answers to our readers’ questions and to learn about new tax developments relating to employee stock options, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA’s Option Alert!

Comments are closed.