Can I get a refund for an un-filed 83(b) election?

October 10, 2014

Subject:   83b Question
Date:   Sun, 12 Aug 2007
From:   Steve

Mr. Gray,

I was awarded a tax bonus due to a Section 83(b) election that I never filed with the IRS. Is it possible to receive a refund for the taxes paid due to an un-filed election?



Date:   12 Sep 2007

Hello Steve,

Yes. You have created a mess. If the income was reported on a Form W-2, you should start by getting a corrected Form W-2 from your employer. This is not the way to win a popularity contest. Good luck.

Mike Gray

For more information about incentive stock options, request our free report, Incentive Stock Options – Executive Tax and Financial Planning Strategies.

Comments are closed.