How do I report a cash out for an individual who is no longer an employee?

July 23, 2001

Subject:   Cash out rather than exercise
Date:   Wed, 22 Nov 2000
From:   Connie

Dear Michael,

When an individual who is not an employee for the calendar year elected to cash out, what is the reporting procedure? Will it be reported to IRS on 1099?

Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.



Date:   4 Dec 2000

Hello Connie,

I assume you are talking about an ISO.

Since the amount relates to previous employment with the company, I believe it should be reported on Form W-2.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more information about incentive stock options, request our free report, Incentive Stock Options – Executive Tax and Financial Planning Strategies.

Comments are closed.