How can I sell stock co-owned with my ex-wife?

July 13, 2005

Date:   Tue, 28 Jun 2005
From:   Tim

Dear sir,

I have a one-half (formerly community property) interest in 53 shares of Xerox stock. My ex-wife owns the other half. The title is still in both our names. How can we get the stock in a saleable state?


Date:   Wed, 06 Jul 2005

Hello Tim,

If you want to sell the stock anyway, see a stock broker. Maybe you can just sell it and divide the proceeds. If the sale proceeds are reported under your social security number, file a Form 1099B to show one-half of the sale proceeds are taxable to your ex-wife.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more information about incentive stock options, request our free report, Incentive Stock Options – Executive Tax and Financial Planning Strategies.

Comments are closed.