Should my ISO income be reported on my W-2?

April 15, 2003

Date:   Fri, 21 Mar 2003
From:   Michael

Mr. Gray,

I’m hoping you can lead me to a resource where I can confirm something regarding stock options. We sold some ISOs to make a cashless exercise to purchase other ISOs. Will the income from the disqualified disposition be reported on Form W-2? Is the AMT adjustment eliminated for same-day sales?

Thank you in advance for my advice,



Hello Mike,

The employer should report the income from the disqualified disposition on Form W-2. No income tax withholding or employment taxes are required for this income under the rules now in effect.

There is no AMT adjustment required when there is a disqualifying disposition of ISO stock in the year of exercise. I don’t have time to document this answer.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more information about incentive stock options, request our free report, Incentive Stock Options – Executive Tax and Financial Planning Strategies.

Comments are closed.