Can I get a tax deduction for worthless stock options?

July 12, 2004

Subject:   Stock Options w/ Bankrupt Company?
Date:   Mon, 21 June 2004
From:   Kelly

A former employer gave me both incentive stock options and nonqualified stock options and then filed chapter 11. The company will probably soon file chapter 7. I didn’t exercise the options. Is there any way I can claim a tax deduction for the worthless stock options?



Date:   Fri, 02 Jul 2004

Hello Kelly,

No. Since you never reported any taxable income for receiving the options and made no cash investment in them, you have no tax basis or investment to deduct.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more information about non-qualified stock options, request our free report “Executive Tax and Financial Planning For Non-Qualified Stock Options”.

Comments are closed.