What are the company’s reporting requirements for NQSOs?

May 12, 2003

Date:   Wed, 2 Jan 2002
From:   Pat

As an employer, we have an employee that exercised her stock options at the end of 2001. This is a first occurrence for our company and we did not have the reporting set up with our payroll company. Can we report the information on a 1099-Misc? If so, should it be reported in Box 3? Thanks for your help.


Hello Pat,

No. Assuming this was a non-qualified stock option, the income should be reported on Form W-2. The ordinary income is subject to payroll taxes. You might need to prepare amended payroll tax returns and Form W-2c (corrected Form W-2). See your accountant for help.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For more information about non-qualified stock options, request our free report, Non-Qualified Stock Options – Executive Tax and Financial Planning Strategies.

Comments are closed.